Background of Sundarbans and Birth of Mukti
Sundarbans is a mangrove forest area at the delta of Ganga river, in the Bay of Bengal. It consists of a wide variety of terrains, housing rich flora and fauna ranging from wide mangrove forest, agricultural land, barren land to mudflats. This miracle land, which is home to the well-known Royal Bengal Tiger, is enlisted as UNESCO world heritage site giving it an international identity. However, due to the advent of modern world technology, there has been a tremendous increase pollution and industrialization which has put the survival of this forest at stake.
Mukti is a socio-economic organization that is engaged in helping the people living and sustaining the livelihood in the Sundarbans. This organization strives relentlessly to save the heritage of this grand creation. Mukti took an oath to undertake the HEALER mission which can holistically solve the problems and help best to build a sustainable future.
Activities and Campaigns by Mukti
Mukti has organized many campaigns centered around its 6 department H.E.A.L.E.R. program. HEALER stands for:
H- Health, Water and sanitation:
Aim: To provide and boost health, water and sanitation facilities.
Projects: Medical camps during Kerala flood, Medical camps during Aila and Village sanitation project.
E- Education and Empowerment:
Aim: To help students in their study and provide job-oriented tutoring.
Projects: Coaching centers, Talented Students sponsorship (TSS), Book Bank, Computer literacy, Mukti Institute of Technology.
A- Agriculture reforms:
Aim: To improvise on food security, climate change adaptation and rural economic reforms.
Projects: Sustainable Agriculture Management (SAM), Organic Farming Climate resilient agriculture, Agro-based technology development and dissemination, Agro-based SME and value chain development.
L- Livelihood and Economic security:
Aim: To encourage self-help income generation, skillset development and employment generation for women and the young.
Projects: Mukti Community Development Fund (MCDF), Mukti Community Business.
E- Environment Economy:
Aim: To protect nature through need and value driven plantation and adopting green activities.
Projects: Save the Sundarban (Go Green), GrEEN (Solar power), NaRKEL.
R- Rights and Governance:
Aim: To protect the rights of the people and promote democratic empowered governance.
Projects: EmPOWER (RTI act awareness), Women and child rights and legal aids.
Recent Initiatives for COVID-19 by MUKTI
COVID-19 has tremendously affected our health and impaired our lifestyle over the past 20 months. Along with, rigorous research for vaccines and medications, it has become imperative for the citizens to start taking responsibility to tackle this deadly disease. Mukti has come to the rescue beyond all expectations by initiating campaigns for poor and the needy.
Some of the other initiatives and campaigns organized by Mukti follows:
· Mukti Covid care Units This Aid assisted units for COVID care installed at various places is currently serving oxygen to the patients which are free of any cost. To name a few, Mukti Community Covid Care unit at Mathurapur, Mukti-Sundarban Covid Care unit at Gosaba, Mukti-ISWS Covid care units at Sundarban. “United Way Mumbai” has supported Mukti in providing 15 oxygen concentrators giving a second life to warriors battling the disease.
· Covid Care Interim Relief Center: Safe Home and First Aid Service of Mukti: Patients suffering from COVID can avail this infrastructural Home and first aid facilities free of cost until they find an affordable hospital service.
· Mukti Conferment Oxygen Concentrators to the Chief of the Gram Panchayats: Just at a point in time where the nation is still recovering from the disastrous second wave, there are rumors of a possibility of a third wave of COVID. In an attempt fight the COVID third wave, Mukti has engaged several field workers to identify hot spots of COVID and ensured to deploy oxygen concentrators to the victims of the pandemic.
· Give India Supporting Mukti with 170 Oxygen Concentrators to Save Precious Lives: Mukti installed these concentrators provided by Give India at various places saving an astounding number of 169 patients who had breathing difficulty.
Just as the age old saying “Prevention is better than cure”, it is imperative that we take all necessary steps and precautions to prevent getting infected by the disease. In the times, India has faced many challenges to keep up with the reinforced needs for sanitation, disinfection and hygiene. Mukti along with some other organizations and companies, has been in the forefront in providing hygiene products, masks and healthy food essentials during the pandemic.
· Hindustan Unilever Supported Mukti with Hygiene Products: “United way Mumbai” and “Hindustan Unilever” has supported 2144 disinfectant spray units and 3048 floor cleaners along with timely disinfection protocols in covid care units.
· Mask Distribution Program by Mukti at Krishnachandrapur during Covid-19 Pandemic: Due to Coronavirus pandemic, masks have now become the new normal ornament of the body. Mukti has also distributed masks thereby keeping the spread of coronavirus to a bare minimum ensuring the health of the people is safeguarded.
· Mukti Cloud Kitchen Feeding Isolated Covid Patients: The wreaking havoc of Covid-19 has debilitating effects not only on the health but also the appetite of the affected patients. It is thus critical that undernourished section of the society is given access to proper nutrition and wholesome food. In this lockdown period, Mukti has organized ration distribution through Mukti Cloud kitchen initiative at their doorstep.
Even though the society is feeling the wrath of COVID, Mukti has been a ray of hope all of those inflicted by COVID and will continue to provide a helping hand to those in need of a revival.